Giving yourself treats may sound self-indulgent or frivolous but it is not. Because forming good habits can be draining, treats can play an important role in keeping us energized, cared for and feeling contented. This boosts our self-control and the confidence to maintain our healthy habits. If you give more to yourself, you can ask more from yourself. When we do not get any treats, we begin to feel burnt out, depleted and resentful.
You can only give, share, love and live productively with others from a place of contented fullness. It is therefore important that we nurture ourselves and practise good self-care. Reward yourself for every accomplishment you make in life. It could be in a small way or a big way, either way, give yourself a pat on the back each step of the way to make you feel appreciated and acknowledged.
Some benefits of rewarding yourself
- It keeps you motivated and takes away the dreary nature of daily mundane activities. You’ll be inclined to work harder because the benefits of your hard work are not only tangible but exciting! Self-reward serves as a reminder that hard work does indeed pay off!
- It makes you feel good; your favourite treat can give you an instant mood lift! Treats can also help you to recharge your batteries and refresh yourself.
- If you don’t, who will? Cultivate internal validation. Always affirm yourself and infuse yourself with love and hope. Never rely on anyone to pat you on the back or give you appreciation and recognition. External validation either never comes or comes wrapped in other people’s corrupted internal scripts.
There are many ways of rewarding yourself, the following are some examples:
- Have some me time, read a book, take a nap, listen to some music, watch your favourite series, or simply meditate to reflect and regroup.
- Pamper yourself with a relaxing bubble bath, a massage, manicure, pedicure, body scrub or get a new haircut.
- Travel or go for an adventure, take a walk in nature, relax at the park, explore a museum or gallery, or go for a road trip.
- Give yourself a new experience; learn a new language or skill e.g. Zumba, Pilates, Piano or Dance Lessons.
- Buy yourself a beautiful keepsake or ornament with sentimental value, place it where you can see it every morning or evening.
- Order a takeaway for dinner, give yourself a break, pour a glass of wine or have some ice-cream.
- Take a day off from work.
Go on! Be good to you! Show YOU some Love already!